Tuesday 14 April 2015

Cats - Impressions

Impressions throughout Cats

Early impressions 

How did you initially react to the script? How did you start to create your character?

My initial reaction to the script was that it was very long, so being able to remember all the lyrics to the song as they were all very long as they was not dialogue in the musical, and being able to show and portray the storyline and my character just through singing and dance. 

What did you think of the concept of changing the context to the fashion world?

When we first got told about the concept change I was very shocked, not shocked that we were doing it differently, shocked that we were doing so differently and in fashion! I didn't ever think Cats could ever be done in the fashion world. So this made me cautious and apprehensive about what was to come. 

Mid-way Impressions After First Run-Through Questions for Rachel


My Character: Old Deuteronomy
My 3 Choreographed Songs: "Old Deuteronomy", "Moments of Happiness" & "Ad-dressing of the Cats"


1) What stage is your choreography work at and why?

"Old Deuteronomy" is complete, but needs refreshing and going over choreography with all cast and staging.

"Moments of Happiness" has not been looked at in class, but I have the choreography ready to teach.



''Ad-dressing of the Cats" has not been looked at in class, I have an idea on the choreography but would like some reassurance and help on how this final song should be choreographed.


2) How well do you know the melody and lyrics to your solo sections and group songs?


Solo songs:
Old Deuteronomy - Know the melody and lyrics. Only a few lines at end and just need to know when to come in.
Moments of Happiness - Need to continue practising this song as I still dont know the melody or lyrics very well
Ad-dressing of the Cats -  Know the melody and lyrics but still need to continue practising this song.

All my solo sections is will also go and see Kim for help with pitching and what key to sing them in.

Group songs:
Very familiar with Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats, Need to continue practising Naming of the Cats and would especially like to go over that with whole cast. Also would like some reassurance what songs my character is meant to sing. 

3) How much thought have you given to the narrative behind the songs you are involved in? (relating them to the fashion world)


"Old Deuteronomy" is about when Old Deuteronomy comes in the building while the employees are working collections/designs and models, My characters decides when are likes their collections and design and let the workers know there and then. 

"Moments of Happiness" - I would some help relating this to the fashion world concept.

''Ad-dressing of the Cats"is the last song and know that Old Deuteronomy is closing the show but haven't given that much thought to it. 

4) How much have you considered your on stage movement, particularly when you are not involved in the main action?


Quite a lot of the time my character is sat in the 'Deuteronomy Designs' office, When doing this I will be either, on the phone, searching through modelling accents books, on the company iPad/iMac, checking on employers.
This is help to show more of my characters personality and show that Old Deuteronomy is head of the company 'Deuteronomy Designs' 


5) Is the costume for your character sorted? 


I have completed the work for ''Character 1'' for Costume Design, which is for my character,  Old Deuteronomy. 

My costume includes;
A black furry coat, which I already own. 
A pair of Black heeled Chelsea boots, which I already own. 
And a white embellished top, which i am still currently looking for, in charity shops and online and may need help if cant find something specific. 

6) Have you completed your production role?


Yes I think so, 
I have created the "Sealight Theatre Presents Cats the Musical" Facebook Page, I have been updating and will be promoting even more. I have also created an 'Opening Night' Facebook event and there has been 194 invited!

A Twitter page has also been made between Ellie and myself, and updated and is being used to promote too. 

7) Have you arranged any extra curricular rehearsals since the start of the Cats process?

Not yet, But will be making sure I make at least 2 appointments to see Kim and group rehearsals to go over and refresh "Old Deuteronomy" choreography and teach "Moments of Happiness" choreography as that has not been done.  


8 ) Have you cleared your diary up until the performances?


Yes, 
Apart from that I have my A2 Textiles Final Exam on the 27th April 8:30am -10:40am & 29th April 8:30am -10:40am. 
But I will speak to Catrina tomorrow morning in my lesson and see if I can get them both changed.



Final impressions

Towards the end of the rehearsal process, I begin more and more drawn to the concept and context of our Fashion World Cats. This was because I understood our different storyline to the original and made the contentions and links to each other. This was from all the research into relatable Fashion icons and personell we did throughout the rehearsal process and lead up to the shows. I thought the staging and set really helped to get the atmosphere and vibe of a fashion house too. At the end of the show I thought the Fashion World was unique and orginal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment