Sunday 17 May 2015

Cats - Personal Strengths & Weakness

Personal Strengths & Weaknesses for Cats

Strengths
The main strength of my performance was staying in character throughout the whole show, even though I was on stage and not centre of attentions for most of it. I had to make sure I was fully focus on being in character and making sure it was obvious enough for the audience to notice. I made sure I was either looking through magazines, files and books while in the office, looking through emails and documents on the computer, interviewing new further employees and holding meetings. For example I held an interview sessions in the opening song, I did this so I had something to do, and mainly so that audience saw everyone else dancing and I was up on a higher level of staging set (set) and doing an important job. This helped to show the respect and status of my character too.
Vocals in 'Old Deuteronomy' and the way I came onto the stage and my stage presence. I needed to make sure that the arrival of my presence was big and specials. I tried to show this by changing my outfit for the song 'Old Deuteronomy', I changed my red blazer into a big black fluffy long coat, I did this because It again show respect and status wearing a posh coat and it being something completely to the other characters in the song were wearing. Also making it effective visual image for the audience. I also made sure my position and direction of movement when on stage, was centre of attention and on a higher level. For example, I started by walking down the audience seating rig stairs and then onto the stage and then stepped up to the staging block catwalk, and then continued slowly walking down the catwalk, greeting other characters along the way. When I finally got the end of the catwalk I turned around a delivered my few lines of the song, these lines were the ones I felt most confident with and believed it showed. I think this was because I had to confidently and respected, so it also reflected on the singing too.
The small amount of dance movements I had throughout the show I made show I  remembered the routines and motifs and performed them confidently and consdiently. For example in the 'Jellice Ball' I was near the front so had to make sure I was focused and correctly doing the movement and also being in time as other performers behind me would look in front of them for timing. I feel like I performed the routine very well. Even if I had stubbled across a movement or didn't have enough room or spacing to perform the move to the full energy, I adjusted it to fit.
Weaknesses

Vocals on the last song "Addressing of the Cats". My biggest challenge throughout the whole show was the song "Addressing of the Cats" and the vocals that went with it. I worried about this number through the whole rehearsal process and still now the show has finished I think it was not a very good song for my voice and I didn't perform as well as I had hoped. My first impressions of the song was very mixed as I thought it was a lovely sounding song and I enjoyed listening to it, but the highness of some on the notes were very challenging.
For example the lyrics; 

"You've seen us both at work and games, And learnt about our proper names, Our habits and our habitat"  
were the ones I became worried with. When rehearsing the song in sections I could actually perform these lines fine, but when it came to singing to all together I found it very difficult to find the correct place and time to breathe. As if i did not breathe at the correct time, I ran out of breath and physically couldn't sing them, this then leading to my confidence dropping and not continuing on with the rest of the song. 
The lines;
"You've heard of several kinds of cat
And my opinion now is that
You should need no interpreter
To understand our character
You've learned enough to take the view"
were absolutely fine and I felt i sang them well and with confidence


No comments:

Post a Comment