Monday 18 May 2015

Dance for Camera - Final Video & Review

Dance for Camera - Final Video & Review

Review & Development of Final Video

What changes did you make to improve it for your First Draft video?

I changed the structure of the video throughout the different drafts. The first video having no really any structure to the final video having a Rondo structure.
I also added more choreography, this was performed by Sophie and was a different style of movement. I wanted to move away from the video looking like to was in the style of Rosa so I created a different set of motif without using the chairs and showing more jumping, turns and a way of using the space more. When doing this i also changed the setting of which the choreography was filmed. It was filmed in the corridor of the Performing Arts block, not the Dance Studio. This was to show the viewers/audience a different setting and try to keep them interested in the video and also to show the movement without using the chairs.

What do you like about you Final Video?

I like the style of the editing of the Final Video, I think the black and white look very professional and helps links all the different video clips together. I also like the style of choreography, The style is a mix between jazz and contemporary. The style also fits in with the music very well, with some movement being quick and so being slow the music correlates with this. A climax was created in the video, This was when the music started to speed up and become heavier, the tempo of the choreography also sped up with it.  This created a different and constantly effect to the normal flow and speed of the dance making it more interesting and exciting for the viewer/audience. 


If you could re-do it and start again what would you do differently?

Next time I would like the different the setting in which the choreography was filmed. I think that if it was filmed somewhere other than the Performing Arts building at college it would be more interesting and exciting, and you would also not being able to tell it was a video created when at college or in education.
For example I would have liked to do it in a proper dance studio, this being with no other people in the background or shot when they were not meant to be or maybe an office where there is lots more chairs and types of chairs. 


Stimulus & Choreography Connections:

My stimulus is 'chairs', using chairs as part of the set and props and performing with them.
 I wanted  to show 2 different sections to my video, showing the motifs and choreography using  'chairs' and showing them without chairs.
The was to show that adding a prop and set creates a different visual look to the viewer and audience and make it more interesting.

Evidence showing my chosen structure, Rondo:

My structure developed throughout the rehearsal process of the Dance for Camera unit. 
In the first draft video it was just a single set of motifs performed in the same area and using the same set of movement. 
For the final draft the video showed a Rondo structure. This is an ABACADA, - a structure form has a recurring section or motif with different and contrasting section in between
The recurring section/motif is a few movement either of Cherkanah or Sophie or both performing stylist arm and legs movement on chairs.
The contrasting sections are may be set in the same room sometimes but hopefully are shot in a different angle contrasting from the recurring sections. 

Here are a few examples of this structure in my video;

Section A - Original styled motif, with chair(s)


Section B - with chair(s)


Section A - Original styled motif, with chair(s)


Section C - with chair(s)


Section A - Original styled motif


Section D - with chair(s)


Section A - Original styled motif, with chair(s)

Section E - without chair(s)

Section A - Original styled motif, with chair(s)

Section F - without chair(s)

Section A - Original styled motif, with chair(s)

Choreographic Devices
I used a range of choreographic devices in my final video.
For example; 
Repetition - I repeated the Section A motifs throughout the whole video. I did this because it was the main part of my selected structure.
Levels - I showed levels in my video, for example a higher level when 2 dancers were on the chairs, Mid levels when Sophie was dancing standing up at her height level and a lowers level when Sophie was doing movement of the floor.
Tempo - I showed a range of speeds, from slow to quick. A quick and fast tempo being when Sophie fell onto the floor at 01minute:20seconds.
Fragmentation -
Retrograde -  I edited some of the filmed clips to make the choreography become reversed, this is one of the advantage when creating a Dance for Camera piece you can make and add in extra choreographic devices. For example I reverse a phrase when Sophie was falling to the ground, I reverse so it looked like she was getting up.


No comments:

Post a Comment